Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 16:25:30 EDT

on 10/24/01 6:12 PM, UnravelUI_at_aol.com at UnravelUI_at_aol.com wrote:

> Eh. This isn't necessarily a good thing - it's only showing, once again, how
> much Apple underestimates the needs of its customers. You shouldn't *have* to
> replace your hard disk - why not get enough space in the first place?

I can tell you why I've upgraded my hard drives, and why all my friends did.
This because we have used our Macs far beyond their years. (My Performa 600,
cum Quadra 650 was bought in '94, and just had a new hard drive put in for
my kids' use.) Also, (for the dig) imagine only upgrading a Windows
computer. In the end, it always seems better to simply get a new computer,
and avoid all the hassles of upgrading components. I remember the look on my
friend's face as he watched me install and set up a hard drive. I was done
copying over files from my old drive only 10 minutes after I started, and
his jaw was on the floor. He told me that after an hour or two, he might be
able to actually see the hd on his Windows computer. :-)

> Macs have always been crippled by their RAM and hard disk space - and like
> PCs or not, they've always been built to the hilt with such things when you
> spend the same amount of money as on a Mac. And Macs need that space more
> than PC users.

For the record, this is absolutely untrue. Windows programs are notorious
for require more memory, both the ram kind and hard disk kind, than
Macintosh programs. Not only that, but Microsoft products also create files
of enormous proportions--at least twice the size of other applications, as I
have just discovered this week. :-)

I hate to turn this into a Mac/Windows debate, but there really was no
debate here, only misleading arguments, based more on ignorance and
prejudice than on fact. I couldn't leave it go.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry