Re: [NTLK] Newton Pet Peeves

From: James D'Anvers (newtontalk_at_danvers.co.nz)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 04:08:13 EDT

Yeah, I do appreciate the usefulness of the grip it gives - it's great, but
personally, I don't think it justifies having to carry it around in a little
sack or treat it like expensive china for fear of taking a beaut gouge out
of the front of it - those scratches make a Newt look unfairly tatty for
it's age. The 1x0's always would get them around the power switch, and the
tips of the corners on all Newts last about 5 minutes before they are
stripped bare.

I know it really isn't a true thrash-about, back-pocket device, being so
large, but I like the idea of being able to take it around everywhere
'naked' - no extra satchel for it.

The design of all Newts is so cool, that it seems a shame for their looks to
be brought down by the coating going scruffy on you.

Put it this way, if they ever designed one again, and I had any say, I
wouldn't let them do it again. I would prefer if the case was made almost
entirely of (much thicker) rubber with some form of stiffeners underneath so
it still felt rigid - shiny plastic doesn't take long to look scratched and
scruffy with the kind of life these devices get (anyone smell iPod??) - the
thicker rubber wouldn't gouge and it would make it a lot more shock
resistant.

James.