Re: [NTLK] Newton Message Pad

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 16:21:24 EDT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Bill Davis wrote:

> No kidding! I played with NewtonPress last night with a 2.5MB text
> file. The little drag-and-drop PalmDoc app I use to make Palm DOC files
> condensed that to 1.5MB. PaperBack 2.0 increased it to 5MB! And
> NewtonPress to 5.4MB. Unacceptable - I have a bunch of 2MB cards, but I
> could only fit one or two more "normal" sized books on it (most ebooks

Well, you won't know what the actual installed size of any package until
you install it, and see how much the Newton compresses it. My best guess
for your 5.4MB book would be probably 3.5-4MB. IIRC, the largest book I
ever installed on my Newto nwas Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, which
is a 2.3MB package on the desktop, I believe installing it brought it dow
to 1.5MB. It fit on my 2MB card with some room to spare, in any case.