Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 16:52:16 EST

on 10/30/01 8:34 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:

> I've been lurking on this thread, reading about how worried everyone is t=
hat
> MP3s aren't "CD-quality." Funny thing is, if you talk to a TRUE audiophi=
le,
> you find out that *they* SNEER at "CD-quality" as being unacceptably poor=
!
> It was once demonstrated to me (by another physicist that happens to be a=
> audiophile) that the dynamic range of a high quality turntable/amp/etc. F=
AR
> exceeds that of any digital system. When you think about it, the atomic
> force microscope is essentially a phonograph arm, and those things measur=
> individual atoms.

Yes, but in order to reproduce those wonderful sounds hidden in the vinyl,
you need a _very_ expensive turntable and stylus, and a very good pre-amp.
Your average $200-$300 turntable and diamond stylus, running into your
standard amp simply don't cut it for the true audiophile, and would be
anethema with an audiophile-quality platter, which means that CD compares
favorably with vinyl. Also, in recent years, the DA converters, and built-i=
sound shapers (who know exactly what they do) have really improved, and
begun fooling some of the finer ears. Not that I bother following this stuf=
any more. At one point in my life, I realized that I would never afford the
equipment that I would enjoy the most, and kind of stopped following, and
just closed my ears. In fact, I don't even notice tape hiss any more. :-)
I'm a sorry, sorry soul. :-) (oh, and CDs sound great coming out of my
built-in speakers on my Powerbook.) :-)
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net>
<mailto:glasshaus5_at_aol.com>
 =B3the assumption that being a human individual is enough to earn one moral
protection of one=B9s life smacks of speciesism.=B2 --Professor Jeffrey Reiman=20