Re: [NTLK] [OT] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 16:21:12 EST

on 10/31/01 9:52 PM, Marco Mailand at newton2k1_at_mac.com wrote:

> It is a continous band of all frequencies from 0Hz up to the highest
> frequency which is necessary to create the edge. Depending on how the pulse
> is shaped and whether there is a remaining DC offset (step pulse) the
> highest amplitude can be found anywhere in the spectrum and the spectrum
> might be not continously in- or decreasing.
> So basically any single pulse contains infinitly much different excitation

It's getting late, and my brain wants to go to bed, but if I understand you
correctly, I think you are close to what I was attempting to say in my first
message.

In an analog recording, the frequencies fade in a rather smooth curve on up
to and way beyond the range of human hearing. In the digital realm, that
same recording is full blast up to the ceiling of 20k, where it is chopped
off, wham, right at the ceiling. This creates an audible difference in the
playback. There were also other issues in those early cds. In the two
decades since those first cds and cd players, things have changed
drastically, and these issues no longer exist. As Eric, I'm having my mind
exercised on a topic that has long lain dormant in my mind. This discussion
has slowly brought these memories out, and I find I've thrown a stone in the
hornets' nest. :-) (not really, but that's how I feel) :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams