Re: [NTLK] Off-Topic Linux (PDA) Question

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 17:27:19 EST

At 11:34 PM 10/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

> >on 10/30/01 9:07 PM, David Orriss Jr at dave_at_davenet.net wrote:
> >
> >the fastest processors? Also, I have yet to see anything written in Java
> >that was actually useful, although I would be glad to be proven wrong on
> >this. It seems that Java is the buzzword-compliant platform with little to
>
>Crushftp is a pretty decent ftpd that's entirely java; saturates a 10bT
>cable connection pretty well on just a 66MHz PowerPC; it does take 18megs
>RAM though.
>
>Limewire (gnutella client/server) is java ,too IIRC.
>
>Useful stuff written in java tends to be BIG compared to other development
>options, although the cross-platform side is definitely nice.

Not true. It's the VM that tends to be big... think of it as an OS
emulation layer *on top of* your current OS and you get a better idea as to
why so much RAM is used. Perfect example is a database tool I use.. I
bring it up standalone and NT say's it's using 11MB. I bring up the same
tool as part of *another* VM that's using 11MB also and only adds 200k to
the memory usage.

A similar example is VMWare.. it emulates a whole PC *within* the PC
(running Linux or NT). That gives the illusion of your little 200k program
using 128MB... ;)

>--

David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net
http://www.davenet.net
ICQ UIN: XXXXXX (please ask if you want to talk via ICQ)
Linux - Chicken Soup for the Unix Soul