Re: [NTLK] Newton Batteries

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 15:04:50 EDT

>>I would not recommend NiMH cells for the 130. But 1000mAh NiCads will
>>recharge in the machine with no problems.

>Will they also recharge as individual batteries in the Newton

No. You need to make sure the switch in the battery compartment is
depressed. For examply by putting a piece of cardboard beneath the
middle two batteries.

> and will the docking/charging station (for the 130) recognize
> their load and signal a charged state

It will charge them just fine if you do the cardboard trick here, too.

> I'm asking cause I read somewhere that such
> functions are only possible with a battery pack

Other than that the battery pack has metal on both sides that keeps
the cells together and depresses the switch(es), it isn't different
from 4 seperate cells.

> and that individual batteries are better off being recharged in a
> separate battery charger.

Provided that the seperate charger really charges each cell seperately,
this is correct. If the seperate charger uses pulse charge technology,
it would be still better even if it didn't charge the batts individually.
If it's a cheap charger, you are better off charging the batteries in
your Newton or the charging station.

Frank