Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #176

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 22:40:05 EDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] ANNOUNCE Voice recognition problem

First let me add that I'm still trying on the Dragon/L&H front.

I've also tried several million permutations of installation, so you
don't have to try

Everything frozen
No memory card
Making sure notes was the backdrop app
Making sure Names was the backdrop app
selection "external mic" as the sound input

I think there may be an "invisible package" on the Newt this DragonDemo
came from. Probably an "autopart" that does not have the courtesy to
show an icon. The hack for Tibet does this, as does some clipart apps

To the person with the working demo, try to install "TapBar" or any app
that can act as a launcher to lists all packages on the Newt. See if
there's another Newton package from Dragon. Extract that sucker and post it.

Note it may be protected, so use EEunprotect before beaming/exporting

on 04/09/01 10:04, Brad Tober at newtontalk_at_mac.com wrote:

> I'm getting the same problem. Keep searching that Newt, Ken!
>
> Brad
>
> On Tuesday, September 4, 2001, at 08:48 AM, Samuel Jacobson wrote:
>

>> I was able to download the Dragon demo to my WinTel with no problem,
>> yet
>> I have been unable to install the package to my uMP2000 as I get an
>> error
>> of "An error occurred while installing the package 'DragonDemo:Dragon'.
>> It
>> may not work with this system. Contact the software publisher for
>> further
>> information. (Part 0, type form)".
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Not saying that this is your problem, but when I have WorksBetter un-frozen,
*ANY* attempt to install *ANY* package will result in this error message.

BTW, I was out of town this weekend, so I probably missed some messages.
Apparently, the Dragon's demo was uploaded somewhere?

--
"Life is like a box of chocolates."
  - Forrest Gump -

"Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap, that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while you get a peanut butter cup or an English toffee; but it's gone too fast and the taste is fleeting. In the end, you're left with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, there's nothing left but an empty box of useless brown paper wrappers." - Cigarette Smoking Man - The X-Files

Mark Rollins mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com