Re: [NTLK] Copyright protection

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 13:15:36 EDT

* Brian <bmcewen_at_mediaone.net> on Thu, 06 Sep 2001
| Copyright: well none of boilerplate really DOES much anyway if someone big
| like MSoft wanted to grab your item and incorporate it, they'd just DO it.

No, they don't. See Microsoft's GPL rants, but note the lack of BSD
license rants, because the GPL does not let them do that.

| If you'd included the standard shareware/copyright blurb saying "hey test
| this if you like it then do the right thing and register but all the code
| is really copyright me" you could always take them to court to enforce your
| copyright. Like Victor said, US law, it's up to the holder to do any
| enforcing.

Copyright infringement in the US in excess of (I think) $2500 is
investigated by the FBI and prosecuted by a federal attorney because
passing that threshold makes it a *criminal* offense. All you have to do
is inform them of the violation and they will take it from there.

| Lack of enforcement actually removes the validity of your copyright,
| after enough time/insert special condition ,IIRC (like Victor, IAMAL,
| chance of garble is high).

WRONG! WRONG! A THOUSAND TIMES WRONG! It is not -- REPEAT: *NOT* --
possible to involuntarilly forfeit one's copyright under any circumstances.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to