[NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Gary Zambrano (Gazam_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 14:09:35 EDT

People!
I remember that Apple had planned to integrate the Rosetta Stone HWR into OS
9. Supposedly a beta was released and basically it was a control panel that
allowed for a Wacom Pen Tablet to write into documents. I remember Apple
saying that it was going to be used later in OS X instead.

Apparently, this control panel is out there! BUT, I really think that Apple
knows it has what MS wish it did. In fact, Apple knows they have a
technology that was way, way before it's time. I think that might be the
reason we all really like the Newton.

Realistically, forget asking Apple for any source code. If it were to be
released, let's fantasize a bit here, I would rather have the same interface
team, and OS team working on it, rather than somebody who knows very little
about GUI design and how to remarket the thing. Or at least some really
innovative people with talent which I see some still developing now.

It's not about "never give up" kind of thing. It's just realistically
speaking...it ain't going to happen. You can try...which is a good
thing...but...

I also suspect that Apple is working on something hand held, letting MS take
the first step, then Apple showing them how it's done. That's when Rosetta
Stone will appear!

Energy used on developing Newton-life extending applications is what we
need.