Re: [NTLK] The Value of Synching (was: Soups and the Newton's downfall)

From: John Del Pizzo (jdpizzo_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 16:41:05 EDT

On 9/6/01 10:16 AM, "Ken Whitcomb" <ken_at_imageguild.com> so eloquently
stated:

> The ability to synch to devices data has tremendous potential. I've tried
> John's Newtourage and was very impressed with its simplicity and ease of
> use. Very cool stuff.

Hey, Ken. Thanks for the plug.
=20
> 3) people that frequently find themselves entering and editing their data
> into multiple devices depending on location, convenience, etc.

...snip...

> Synching is cool, but way overrated in my humble opinion.

I don't know about that.

From my perspective, synching solves two problems. First, it allows me to
have the information I use the most available at my finger tips at all
times. (Which falls into your category 3 above.) Since I frequently use my
laptop, sometimes that=B9s more convenient. Other times, I need a phone numbe=
and don't want to wait for my computer to boot up.

Second (and just as important) in the event my Newton or laptop were to be
stolen or damaged, I have an actionable backup of everything. By actionable=
,
I mean the info is instantly available and manipulate-able (sp?). I don't
think being able to view the contents of the backup file, storing it in
another format (printed, for example) or keeping a backup Newton are
sufficient. I want to keep working without missing a beat.

Just my $.02.

John