Re: [NTLK] OT: Copyrights, Abandonware and such...

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 15:30:57 EDT

>The problem I see is that even after a few dozens messages, nobody seem to
>have the last, decisive, definitive word on that, so I can't see how this
>will resolve to something.

Kill files are a thought. Everyone, please quit renaming the thread! At
least copyright hasn't varied much in spelling throughout.

And as much fun as the thread is, it makes almost no sense to be talking
about it re: newton software, commercial or otherwise.

Why? Making a software free doesn't remove your copyright to the code,
necessarily. and this started out about abandonware, right?

Copyright loss is not an issue for authors who have "abandoned" the newton
software and are no longer selling or supporting or talking about it: if
they wanted to release it as free or share or charityware, it doesn't
remove their copyright unless they want to release said right, as a
separate issue.

If www.notthisthreadagain.net resolved, none of this would have happened :)
but was a good idea!