Re: [NTLK] Dragon Package

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:04:16 EDT

on 9/7/01 4:55 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com wrote:

> lost. Usually, if there isn't a resource fork in a file, you don't want
> ResEdit to add one, unless you know what you're doing...

Some programs use them for strange things. For instance, all formatting in
Nisus Writer documents is contained in the resource fork. The data fork
holds only text, and other word processors can open and read them, but if
they change anything, watch out! I think that Claris Works also stores
summary info in there. Some others store ver# info in there. As an
experiment once, I added resource forks to a few files and opened them in
some apps (a long time ago) and didn't see any negative side effects.
However, Laurent's advice still holds. If you don't know what you are doing,
don't do it in Resedit. Anymore, if I get the message asking if I want to
add a resource fork, I always cancel out. This is the safest and wisest
course.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland