[NTLK] ON TOPIC: my new MP130!

From: Filmer, Paul E. (pfilmer_at_nsf.gov)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:01:42 EDT

Hah! Fooled you -- I really wanted to discuss copyright! Well, OK, no.

I just got a new MP130 to replace the one stolen from my secretary (first
thing I did was to write down that serial No....).

Now I'm a NOS2.1 kind of guy, so this is unfamiliar territory. I went to the
FAQ (happy, Victor?), and these are the issues that remain.

1) There are a couple of funky things about this MP -- in the Storage (?)
folder there is a non-storage icon UniFEP, which I can't tell what language
it is for - all the folder names and application names simply come up as
little boxes, so I don't know if it's Kanji, Cyrillic or what. I could
simply delete the icon, but I'm curious: I'd like to see a
non-English/non-German Newt. Am I missing a pkg?

2) The Power Switch/backlight. Seems to have no spring - it's down for On,
up for Off. There is no way to get the backlight on, it seems. And I can't
hear a difference in the hum, since it simply turns off when I fiddle with
it. Loose wires, perhaps.

3) Stylus - I already hate it. Does it always stick out like that? I can't
believe Apple design would do that - it telescopes down, but then always
springs back to show about 3mm beyond the edge of the case.

4) Color (well, this isn't an issue, but it is funky) -- OK now I understand
the whole "it's green, no it's black" debate... this is definitely green,
compared to the darker, more mysterious, MP2100.

Paul F.