Re: [NTLK] ON TOPIC: my new MP130! (UniFEP)

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_BOS.StreamServe.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:41:21 EDT

> > 1) There are a couple of funky things about this MP -- in
> the Storage (?)
> > folder there is a non-storage icon UniFEP, which I can't
> tell what language
> > it is for - all the folder names and application names
> simply come up as
> > little boxes, so I don't know if it's Kanji, Cyrillic or
> what. I could
> > simply delete the icon, but I'm curious: I'd like to see a
> > non-English/non-German Newt. Am I missing a pkg?

> UniFEP was, I think, a japanese input system of some sort.
> I'm sure somebody
> will comment on this.

UniFEP is actually still sold as a bundle with the MP130 in Japan, as far as
I can tell (I read Japanese so slowly that I'm not about to try to translate
all the info). It's made by Enfour, who don't do any Newton stuff outside
Japan any more.
I don't know if you need any other packages- I have it, but haven't even
unarchived it yet- get in touch offline and maybe we can figure out what
you're missing.

This is the main page
http://www.enfour.co.jp/newton/software/unifep/index.html

It gives you a Japanese input method, the fonts..
You also get localization into Japanese of many of the built in apps:
http://www.enfour.co.jp/newton/software/unifep/image/youkoso.gif

-Sam