Re: [NTLK] Re - Rugged 130's

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 20:13:27 EDT

Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de) wrote:

> No. "Immediately" means just that. Another translation: "Way faster
> than what I would need to install a package".

Frank,

is this different from the fault developed by some MP120 that immediately
switched off after being switched on? I believe this was fixed by
FixTrax. Of course, you had to turn the Newton on before you could
install the package, but after a number of tries, it would eventually
stay on. It was just a matter of being more stubborn than your Newton.

FixTrax can be downloaded from the Config site (http://www.config.de/
Products/Newton/FixTrax/). Here's the description:

"This small extension (2Kb) is for all MP120/MP130 Users, who suffer from
the problem, that the Newton switches off immediately after switching it
on. This sometimes repeates up to 10 times so that switching on the
Newton can be a real pain.

This seems to be an error in NOS 2.0 (2.1 devices don't suffer from this
problem) and it occurs if an application does some memory intensive
things directly before power off or directly after power on. There is NOT
a corrupted package installed which induces this error. This really seems
to be an OS problem.

Config has written a very simple fix for this problem: The Newton is not
allowed to switch off within 3 Seconds from the power on. This fix is
running on several MP120 now with almost 100% success and there have been
no problems so far. If you are not satisfied with the package, you can
just remove the package and restart your Newton."

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de