[NTLK] NewTIL - Anybody interesed in hosting?

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 00:44:22 EDT

As you may remember I was pretty annoyed by Apple pulling the plug on the
Tech Info Library (TIL). What I liked about TIL was the hierarchical
display of the different categories which made searching for an article
somewhat easier.

Here's what I spent my Sunday with: I created a mock-up of the old TIL
display exclusively for Newton. I found some 200 pages with Newton-relevant
topics that were originally on TIL. These pages hopefully all still exist
on Apples website (now with dynamic URLs) because the titles of the
individual articles (some are listed in multiple categories) only point to
Apple's website and are not included in what I call NewTIL. Here's the text
of the index page:

>NewTIL - Newton Tech Info Library
>
>| NewTIL |
>NewTIL is based on the now defunct TIL by Apple Inc. but has been
>substantially modified to fit the specific needs of Newton users who need
>a convenient access to Apple's Knowledge Archive.
>NewTIL is organized in a simple hierarchical way that allows easy browsing
>for relevant articles.
>
>Apple MessagePad
> Apple OMP / MessagePad 100
> Apple MessagePad 110
> Apple MessagePad 120
> Apple MessagePad 130
> Apple eMate 300
> Apple MessagePad 2000
> Apple MessagePad 2100
> General Topics
>Newton OS
> 1.x
> 2.x
> General Topics
> Newton Connection for Macintosh
> Newton Connection for Windows
>Miscellaneous Newton OS 1.x (OMP, MP 100, MP 110, etc.)

>NOTE: NewTIL is just an interface and does not store the articles on its
>website. The NewTIL pages link to articles on Apple's website. If a
>specific link doesn't work, Apple has probably withdrawn that article or
>implemented a new way of serving the page that I don't know about.
>

>Copyright =A9 2001, C.W. Otto Sohn
><oky_at_avalon.net>

I don't have the webspace available (NEWTtools is down right now), so I
would be happy if anybody would be interested in hosting this interface. It
contains 19 HTML pages and 4 small GIFs for a total of about 368 K. I could
send it as a SIT archive which would only be 60 K. If interested in
hosting, or if you just want it for your own private pleasures, eMail me
off-list:

<mailto:oky_at_avalon.net?subject=3DNewTIL%20Hosting>

Otto