Re: [NTLK] Deepest sympathy for the assassinated

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 10:53:38 EDT

In the world history of conflict, the evil man does or is capable of
apparently knows no bounds. The US is guilty of some of this in their own history
(slavery, extermination of native population and culture, imprisonment of
ethnic Americans due only to their ethnicity during wartime, and remains the only
country to deploy and use nuclear weapons in anger against civilian
population centers in wartime).

But, one of the things that sets the US apart is the ability to learn from
our history, and the moral determination to not repeat our mistakes of the
past. During the war with Iraq, US commanders took great pains to limit the
level of civilian involvement and casualties, frequently putting US servicemen
at greater risk in the attempt, against an aggressor that felt no compunction
about the slaughtering of civilians.

The folks that did this act used civilians (on the planes) against civilians
in the towers.

America is frequently the first country to repond to calamity in other
countries, sending aid and relief, even countries not friendly to the US. The US
has always tried to be a "good neighbor" to the world. Americans will
frequently do without, in order to help folks less fortunate than they are. When
the US suffers calamity, it is seldom that another country offers assistance.
And yet, the US is the most despised country in the world.

There is (or at least was) a lot of sympathy and support in the US for the
Palestinian issues. And the US has tried, diligently, to assist in brokering
peace in a region that hasn't known true peace in nearly a millenia.
Using/attacking the US, on US soil, for either strategic or symbolic purposes has
been and is a mistake, potentially of biblical proportions. Even Admiral
Isoroku Yamamoto, as the Japanese strike force sailed away from the carnage of
Pearl Harbor, wrote in his diary "I fear that we have done nothing but awakened
a sleeping giant". His words, in retrospect, were prophetic...and still
true. The US is a melting pot of differing ethnic backgrounds and opinions that
appears very conflicted and unorganized...until attacked.

The world stands united in the condemnation of this dispicable act ot
terrorism. The US will be sensitive to world opinion in the pursuit of justice in
this matter. As an American citizen, I leave the matter of arguing
punishment to the folks who we charge, through democratic elections, with these
matters. And I trust that they will do the right thing. This is why democracy
will prevail, and why it works.

Okay, folks, I think this public thread should end. Let's get back to our
common interest...our beloved lil green friends. If you have additional
input, let's take it off-list.

Apologies for the rant. Living in Oklahoma City makes me a little sensitive
to acts of terror.

Regards,

Gary