[NTLK] AW: nokia and newton

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 04:27:54 EDT

In fact the nokia cable provides the right wiring between the DLR-3P connector and the DB-9 female.
The adapter you are talking about is most probably a so called gender changer which provides a 1 to 1 connection pinwise.
And what do you use to adapt from the Newts Mini-DIN to DB-9 female?
There is a nice adapter available at www.pbk-solutions.de/produkte/kabel/adapter_seriell.htm
They also publish the pinout of this adapter: www.pbk-solutions.de/produkte/kabel/internal_connections.htm
Using this adapter (I do so) eliminates the need of any additional adapter and provides a proffessional and short lengths adaption to the
DLR-3P cable.
You need a so called null modem adapter only in case you use the Newt to PC connection cable which provides itself a null modem connection.
Because the mobile phone modem (and every other modem too) needs a simple 1 to 1 connection, using the Newt to PC connection cable you need an additional null modem adapter to change the null modem connection to a 1 to 1 connection.

Hope this was not too confusing.

Cheers
Johannes