Re: [NTLK] $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton.

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 14:07:55 EDT

on 9/24/01 1:37 PM, John M. Powell at iwillbefreedotcom_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Laurent,
>
> Is this something that will work with both Mac & PC? With Pauls
> ATA driver just about wrapped up (no more cache worries I'll bet),
> it'd be way cool to surf while catching a game. Is there a page
> somewhere that gives some info on what is (will be) required
> to get it going? Much thanks...

Since I have a Lucent ORiNOCO and an Apple AirPort base station at home,
that's likely what will work initially, since I don't have anything else to
test the driver. From there, many things can happen, like support for
wireless routers and the likes, as long as they are supporting the 802.11b
protocol. But, initially, will work with an Apple AirPort Base Station using
an ORiNOCO/Wavelan card. Maybe accessing a software base station will work
at a later time, if it's close to an ABS.

-Laurent.

Microsoft: The new Evil Empire (the old one was IBM). The basic complaints
are, as formerly with IBM, that (a) their system designs are horrible
botches, (b) we can't get source to fix them, and (c) they throw their
weight around a lot. See also Halloween Documents.