Re: [NTLK] $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton.

From: doppler (doppler_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 11:50:41 EDT

Laurent Daudelin [laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com] wrote the following
2001-09-24 20.07:

> Since I have a Lucent ORiNOCO and an Apple AirPort base station at home,
> that's likely what will work initially, since I don't have anything else to
> test the driver. From there, many things can happen, like support for
> wireless routers and the likes, as long as they are supporting the 802.11b
> protocol. But, initially, will work with an Apple AirPort Base Station using
> an ORiNOCO/Wavelan card. Maybe accessing a software base station will work
> at a later time, if it's close to an ABS.

i fully support the idea of writing the card for the waveLAN standard in the
first run. orinoco/hp invent/lusent is the most common card out there, no
doubt. its important to get a big user base first and then make
modifications. id guess the symbol and skne cards are way too different

what would be truly kool is a netstumbler/port sniffer program, paired with
the unsupported macintalk/speech app. id love to walk/bike around in the
hood liking for networks. ive done this with a script called HANS with my
powerbook, but its really clumsy to walk around with an open powerbook.
(HANS is a simple apple script written by djfox_at_mac.com)

what would be really nice is if you could save the reported coverage spots
to a notepad note, (possibly even with coordinates if you had a GPS). id
like to see something like network name, ESSID, sec, time for spotting the
AP end similar info, divided with dashes or underlines.

that would really make some ppl in my closest surroundings green :)

doppler