Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100:  Internet over localtalk t o mac?

From: John Fraser (john_fraser_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 19:32:14 EDT

 Most Support 4 lines... and regardless it's easy to create a simple adapter
to change where the wires sit on the RJ-11 plug.

I'd be surprised (though pleased) if it works. PhoneNet uses the two
wires in the phone that are NOT used for voice traffic. That's the
whole original point behind PhoneNet. You can use your existing (non
digital) phone wiring in your house, etc for both phone AND Localtalk
data. The phone uses two pairs, the network the other two pairs.

If this 900 Mhz gizmo supports the signals on ALL the phone wires then
it'd work(and it doesn't have to for normal voice or modem traffic, so
I doubt they do). I'd say your chance is 50-50. Probably less. So
don't get your hopes up, but DO let us know if it works.

Me, I'm waiting for Laurent's WaveLAN driver!! I'll pay! I've got a
similar setup to Laurents (AirPort base station, PowerBook G3
wallstreet, a WaveLAN Silver card and an Orinoco Silver card [same
thing, different names]).

 -Bill