Re: [NTLK] Questions

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 00:00:23 EDT

On 9/28/01, UnravelUI_at_aol.com quoth:
>When trying to make a background for Avi's Backdrop, any image I
>import into Newton Press, even if it *is* 16 shades of gray, ends up
>being recalculated to four shades of gray. How annoying. As a
>result, I can't make gorgeous subtly-shaded backgrounds like the
>Phantom Menace and Toy Story backgrounds linked from Avi's web page
>- and they're just not my cup of tea. So, any tips on this?

Victor has a pretty good set here:
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/projects/avi-backdrop-npress.shtml>

The gist of it is that you need to set your screen resolution to 256
colors and 640x480. Dunno why, but it works.

My only additional advice would be to save the image as 16 color in
MSPaint, it worked for me when photoshop didn't. Huh, that program's
actually good for something.

>My second problem is finding the eMate upgrade. It doesn't exist
>anymore, does it? Or is it a well-kept secret? If anyone knows,
>please confess. :)

I'll never confess! Not even if you put me in the comfy chair!
(they're very very very rare. think: gold plated hen's teeth.)

later,

--
ben.
onefishtwofish_at_mac.com