Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #230

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 11:59:35 EDT

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> On 9/28/01, UnravelUI_at_aol.com quoth:
> >When trying to make a background for Avi's Backdrop, any image I
> >import into Newton Press, even if it *is* 16 shades of gray, ends up
> >being recalculated to four shades of gray. How annoying. As a
> >result, I can't make gorgeous subtly-shaded backgrounds like the
> >Phantom Menace and Toy Story backgrounds linked from Avi's web page
> >- and they're just not my cup of tea. So, any tips on this?
>
> Victor has a pretty good set here:
> <http://www.chuma.org/newton/projects/avi-backdrop-npress.shtml>

Unravel, I should add that to do the Phantom Menace, Pixar, and Emma Peel
backgrounds (plus some Seven of Nine ones I haven't made public :-), I
used GraphicConverter, a program for the Macintosh. A while back I
engaged in a USENET thread about techniques to make your pictures look
better. Google Groups has it at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=8a102n%243mf%242%40cronkite.cs.umd.edu&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DGraphicConverter%2BSean%2BLuke%26hl%3Den%26rnum%3D1%26selm%3D8a102n%25243mf%25242%2540cronkite.cs.umd.edu
...though if that doesn't work for you, go to groups.google.com, search
for "GraphicConverter Sean Luke", click on the one result that comes back,
then click on "Complete Thread".

One critical thing to know is that you need to get your graphic program to
diffuse properly rather than threshold. In this thread I give examples of
the different results that come about as a result.

Sean