Re: [NTLK] Got My MP2100

From: Thomas and Lisa Hofts (thofts_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 08:42:13 EST

on 3/30/02 8:53 AM, Bob Dawson at bdawson_at_affinitygroup.com wrote:

> The Newton MP 2100 I purchased on eBay from Varietyshop.com ($140 w/sh)
> arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased. It is in cosmetically excellent
> condition (but for one minor crease in the screen which is practically
> unnoticeable with a screen protector on) and appears to be in perfect
> working order as well. The batteries don't hold a charge but they were
> pretty clear about that on eBay and I can use the AA tray from my retiring
> Newt. Oh, and the BACKLIGHT is SOOOOOOOO much brighter than my old MP2K.
>
> I have a renewed sense of enthusiasm about my Newt and now that I don't have
> to think, for a while, about moving my life to the dark side (read:
> PocketPC) I can again chase rumors of an Apple branded PDA ... ;-)
> Didn't I read something the other day about an iPod only bigger running Mac
> OS X and dual G4 processors with hwr and voice recognition and an onboard
> video camera and integrated cell phone - for $300? I'm sure it's just around
> the corner ...
>
> But if it's not, my Newt will, once again, more than do for now!
>
> Onwards & Upwards,
> --bd--
The 2100 I got from them was in good shape and I feared the batteries
wouldn't hold a charge either. I plugged it in for 15 min and pulled the
power plug and it went dead immediately. I was very surprised that after 3
hours the batteries held a full charge. The other day I set my 2100 to
never sleep and never kill the backlight and I got 14 hours out of the
battery before it started giving me low battery warning messages.

I don't know a lot about NiCad's, but don't give up on them yet.

--
Tom Hofts