Re: [NTLK] Newton and newtonlink on redhat 7.2

From: andrew_at_misf67.cern.ch
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 07:54:50 EST

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Matt Wilson wrote:

> Trying to connect to your Newton...
> sub send_line: write systemcall failed at
> /usr/lib/newtonlink-1.30/DeviceReadWrite.pl line 168

Well, I might have even written that code :((. It simply means that the
write function which tries to "write" to the serial port has failed.
Without any other diagnostics, I would say that the peromissions of your
serila port have changed (ls -al /dev/ttyS0[1] should have rw-rw-rw
permissions) Perhaps some job regularly checks the permissions of your
serial ports and changes them to rw-rw---- . Inthis case add yourself as
to the group that has group-ownership of /dev/ttyS0[1] (uucp ?)

Andrew

> some help here would be much appreciated as I don't know a lot (anything
> really)about perl
> scripts.
>
> Regards
> Matt