Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #278

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 10:48:42 EDT

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Dar, S.- Shabaz - wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > I'm trying to print to a HP LaserJet 4 printer with an MP2100 via the =
> > serial
> > port on the printer.
>
> <snip> Victor Rehorst wrote:
> >>This is only going to work if the LJ4 is running AppleTalk on that port,
> >>and your Newt should be set to use LocalTalk in Prefs, and the LJ4 *must*
> >>have the PostScript option.
> <snip>
>
> The HP is normally conected to a PC and doesn't have PostScript; AppleTalk
> needs a Mac with ethernet around, which it ain't...So I can't use my
> LaserJet 4 but a LaserWriter Plus, or an NTX would do the job marvellously
> (and need no other bits'n'pieces)?

Basicially, (as my LaserJet memory comes back) your LJ4 needs to have a
JetDirect card that includes a LocalTalk port. *Then* it also has to
support PostScript. If both of these conditions aren't satisfied, then
you're not going to be printing to it from your Newton. It's because the
Newton will only generate PostScript when printing via AppleTalk, and will
only use the PrintPack drivers when using the printpack cable. Strange I
know...