Re: [NTLK] has anyone gone solar?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 09:18:34 EDT

> Which products do you have and which ones are safe? How do we tell if a
> product is NewtonSafe?
At the strongest possible sun radiation the panel has to deliver not more
than 7.5V with a tolerance of about 5%. A normal solar panel which is rated
e.g. for 6.3V is easily capable of delivering 9V under european summer sun
but w/o load. Since a switched off Newton draws a little bit current for
trickle charging the accu, it has to be considered like always on. I never
tried to connect a solar panel with 9V to my Newton but I think the internal
Z-diode protection will become conductive and draw some current and the 9V
output voltage will reduce to something around 8V (7.5V + 5%).

If the solar panel is strong enough the current might become to high and
finally kill the diode and the mobo too. But to be realistic: A quite large
solar panel which delivers much more than 7.5V*1.2A=9W would be necessary
therefore.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand