Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:28:35 EDT

> If such a product is sold, it needs to be sold apart from anything that is
> labeled CD-Audio, and it has to have a red sticker covering half of it
(back
> and front) saying "URGENT WARNING! This product is no CD-Audio but a music
> data carrier, do not insert this product into your
> PC/Mac/Car-Stereo/Car-Navigation-System/DVD-Player/MP3-CD-Player, it will
> not work and will possibly crash and/or damage your equipment, for use in
> CD-Audio-only-drive only!", with the same thing written in big bold
letters
> on the shelve these things are put on.
A last possibility is always as we did some ten years ago: Recording from
radio. The quality of stereo FM is very good, at least comparable with CD
quality and after recording with e.g. MD or directly to the Mac HD the sound
can be burned w/o download fees or buying a fu@!#$up CD.

I do this from time to time and let my home HiFi record concerts or special
transmission in the night.
And while I'm preparing the diner on Sat or Sun I'm listening to the record
on MD and just cutting the record to eliminate speech and the like while
cooking :-) The really bad thing is that one can't hear if something on the
hob burnes...

> Getting angry again,
As long as they don't corrupt the FM signal it doesn't hurt me to much. I
sometimes even buy a CD but basically only to get the complete thing
including the booklet. Many CD's but not the latest I can borrow from our
library for 10CHF annual fee :-)

I will get really angry if I have to pay per minute listening to radio or
TV. This could come in some sort with the digital transmission via Internet.
Each sent data packet is assigned to someone and can be traced and counted
and finally billed for.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand