Re: [NTLK] Card-to-card copy

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 16:56:46 EDT

On 10/04/02 16:44, "Steven Frank" <stevenf_at_panic.com> wrote:

> I just got a 32 MB card and wanted to move everything from my old 4 MB
> card to it.
>
> So, I selected "All Icons" for the old 4 MB card, highlighted
> everything, tapped "File" and selected the new card.
>
> It chugged away for a long time, finally completing with "Sorry, an
> error occurred" (I didn't make a note of the number.)
>
> After I dismissed the error, there are no icons on the old card (good)
> and everything appears to have transferred to the new card.
>
> But that error at the end, and the fact that it still says "74k in use"
> on the old card makes me nervous. Did I really get everything? What's
> taking up 74k?

Yes, there still might be some soup structures on your card. If you tap a
storage icon, you'll see that it will use probably around 1K on your old
card, even though you'll see that there is no item on that card. Just some
kind of structure that needs to stay there. I think you probably copied
everything over. I'm not sure why you got the error message, though, so you
might want to keep your old card around and safe, just in case...

-Laurent.

C Programmer's Disease n.: The tendency of the undisciplined C programmer to
set arbitrary but supposedly generous static limits on table sizes (defined,
if you're lucky, by constants in header files) rather than taking the
trouble to do proper dynamic storage allocation.