Re: [NTLK] Help! Dead Newton (was Variety Shop problems)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 14:47:50 EDT

On 11/04/02 14:11, "Scott P. Richert" <ajrichert_at_mac.com> wrote:

> It appears I spoke too soon. Everything seemed fine yesterday--Newton
> powered up, I entered my personal info, and left it to charge. Today,
> it's dead--powered on under battery power, then the screen went blank,
> and now it won't power up under either battery power or adapter. Any
> suggestions?

Remove the battery pack or holder, disconnect it from the adapter. Let it
rest a few hours powerless. Then, try to revive it by putting a new set of
alkalines or using the adapter. Try to turn it on. If it doesn't work, try
to initiate the "hard reset" procedure, but say no if you ever prompted to
erase the internal memory.

If all of this fails, you'll most likely have to call Variety Shop...

-Laurent.

farming n.: [Adelaide University, Australia] What the heads of a disk drive
are said to do when they plow little furrows in the magnetic media.
Associated with a crash. Typically used as follows: "Oh no, the machine has
just crashed; I hope the hard drive hasn't gone farming again." No longer
common; modern drives automatically park their heads in a safe zone on
power-down, so it takes a real mechanical problem to induce this.