Re: [NTLK] "combined" books with NewtsCape?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 15:55:40 EDT

> From: Vladimir Alexiev <Vladimir_at_worklogic.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:29:44 -0400
>
> The NewtsCape manual mentions that you can make book packages containing
> more than one html page. How does one do that? I can think of two ways:
> - reference all html pages from a frameset and use the frame merging feature
> of NC
> - merge the html pages on the PC
> But is there a better way?

there is another way -- unclear if it's better (depending on location,
sizes, paths of files) -- using LINK tag to combine multiple docs w/
graphics into a single book, and it will usually even keep the links
between them working properly, but this assumes that you've got the docs
and images already in cache on Newton, directory&filenames are unique;
then you'd save each "chapter" as a separate book package, then create a
small "master book" document that basically concatenates the separate
saved chapters and fixes up links. obviously, if there are lots of
files, this could be slow/cumbersome on Newton. (it's more of an
experimental than well-supported feature).

this is described briefly in docs:
  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/head.htm#LINK

and an example:
  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape/exs/bookpart.slp
(view it as text)

(after Paul created the Zlib library, I had considered adding support for
Newt's Cape to access a .zip file that could contain lots of documents,
images, etc. -- browse that like a cache; save as single book -- but I just
don't have that much Newton time these days... )

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com