Re: [NTLK] basilisk connexion was 68K RoM image

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 01:57:16 EDT

There's no reason for the printer to be taking a COM
port...most of today's modern printers use the printer
port or even the USB port. I doubt it is a problem
with the PC configuration!
Here is what you should look at.
First, did you put Basilisk on an NT win2k or 98/ME
machine?
depending on which you installed on, you will need to
place the ethernet dll into the correct directory. The
instructions for Basilisk tell you how to do this.
Then, (this is the part I missed) you need to tell the
newton's ethernet card to be used for appletalk. This
is a little checkbox that sits on the slip when you
insert the ethernet card. Then, fire-up NCU on your
Mac (the emulated one), go to the preferences and tell
it to listen on AppleTalk. Fire up your newt, hit
"Dock" tell it to use Appletalk and you should be
connecting!
It's been awhile since I've set this up, but if you
have more problems...perhaps I can be of some help!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- scOtty teCHnoir <ticknor_at_punkass.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all for the help. I found a quadra Rom,
> and installed OS8.1.
> Basilisk is sweet!! Tcp/ip works fine with the NT
> network. But I cannot
> sync the Newton, sadly. NCU under MacOS detects the
> Newton and says
> 'connected', but the Newton remains unsatisfied. I
> have the 'modem' set
> to com2 [which windoze NCU uses] and the 'printer'
> set to com1 [throws
> an error in NCU]. The archives indicate this should
> be a snap.
>
> Your pal,
> scOtty teCHnoir

=====