Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes

From: Ron R Silva (RonRSilva_at_husky-net.net)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 12:24:59 EDT

on 04/12/2002 23:30, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

>> From: Peter Cameron <>
>> If it's lost or stolen and I report it immediately I get a new one ASAP
>> and the bank will track down video of attempted uses on the missing card.
>> The thief, finder would have to have my PIN to use the card and machines
>> keep the card after three failed attempts.
> --

> One partial solution- instead of signing any card, write "PLEASE CHECK
> PHOTO ID" on the signature line.
>
> That won't keep people from using the charge code inappropriately over the
> 'phone or similar if they steal the card # and you have the charge feature
> active, but it would help if you lost the card or whatever. If the cashier
> is awake.
>
> David, perhaps after tax time your orders will pick up? :)

> --
Curiously, the Post office here in Tulsa and where I live. Will not allow a
transaction to take place if those words are written on the back. A
signature must be present on the back accompanied by a picture ID before any
electronic transaction can occurs with the PO.

Also, a previous post concerning Paypal hit it on the nail. If Paypal
demands access to your credit card and bank acounts in order to do business
then make DAMN sure you leave yourself exposed as little as possible. Leave
as much as your're willing to lose.

Don't leave accounts full of money that can threaten you and your family's
well being. Leaving yourself exposed to potential computer mistakes,
criminal fraud, or possible Paypal freezing of account, (for whatever
reason), is partially your fault!

Eventually, this "new" electronic commerce will work it self out. It works
for the most part! But, Paypal, could potentially create a great mistrust in
electronic transactions if these rumors and allegations are not squashed or
dealt with appropriately. The very fact they continue causes me to keep as
little as possible in my accounts PayPal can access.
CAVEAT EMPTOR!

My .02 cents.
Ron