[NTLK] Codenames (was: Newton Cadillac)

From: Joost van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 01:32:13 EDT

On 2002-04-13 03:10, "Paul Nuernberger" <newton_at_thenuernbergers.com> wrote:

> Man, I must be loosing my mind ... down to too few brain cells I guess.
>
> Butthead Astronomer was a project that was originally named after a real
> astronomer (Sagan) until he objected and threatened a lawsuit. Oddly enough
> he then sued over the new name.

The codenames of the original series of Power Macintosh computers were
Piltdown Man (Power Macintosh 6100), Carl Sagan (Power Macintosh 7100) and
Cold Fusion (Power Macintosh 8100). Carl Sagan the astronomer got wind of
this, and sued Apple (the story wants that he was displeased with being
associated with two highly disputed scientific theories). Apple complied,
and changed the code name to BHA, which stood for "Butt-Head Astronomer".
Apple's legal department, however, were afraid Sagan would once again sue
them if this got out, and insisted the code-name was changed yet again. So
the engineers came up with a third code-name, LAW: "Lawyers Are Wimps".

Although I'd maintain that they would have gotten away with BHA. After all,
the story proves quite sufficiently that the man in question is indeed a
butt-head for getting his undies all knotted up over something as trivial as
this.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--