Re: [NTLK] New Ultra Portable

From: Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 11:09:56 EDT

Um, no. Check out Archos's mp3 jukebox player, and their upcoming one
that supports USB2 and has a color display. It's not like you'll be using
the firewire all the time, and if you do, you'll likely be near power.
The wireless network stuff though, that will drain the battery quickly.

I have one of the older Archos jukes, I get something like 8 hours off 4AA
NiMH's. Adding a color screen would certainly drain the battery, but
there are other battery types out there, and depending on the display
type, how long you keep it on, etc... it may work nicely.

I get plenty of time off my Zaurus, and off my Fiva MPC501's. Even if you
only wind up with two hours of run time, it'll still be a useful enough
device. I know Transmeta claims they've got very low power chips, but a
1GHz Crusoe sounds like a power drainer...

The web site sucks, and true, no details on the display or battery run
time, so it's likely untested and vaporish.

But that windows XP thing, that's what will kill them. :)

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/ :aren't security. A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you \/|\/
  /|\ :masked killer, but |don't email them, or put them on a web \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_@_sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------