Re: [NTLK] hi./ getting online

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 15:03:41 EDT

On 19/04/02 14:41, "Jeff Steinberg" <AussiS5_at_mac.com> wrote:

> hi everybody. I have been reading this list for some time, but never
> posted. But today i got my upgraded MP2000 in the mail. Yowzers! Its
> cool. I'd really like to be able to do some light web surfiing using
> the ethernet card that came with it. The drivers for the card seem to be
> installed, but NewtScape is expired. So i guess i need a new browser.
> Thing is I'm on a new iBook. (no serial port) I'm vaguely aware of a way
> of installing packages with ethernet.. I'd like to sync/backup on the
> desktop also...but my first concern is getting everything i need to get
> on the net and send email (possible w/ a @mac.com address?) Also, in
> the internet setup the configuration seems to be ok... except for domain
> name, it says ATT Broadband. I need to connect to a LAN. I hope i didn't
> forget anything... Let me run it down
> 1. need browser, but need to install it somehow (connection to new mac
> via ethernet(?)
> 2. How to configure internet setup.
> 3. Thanks a lot! Any help anyone could give would be greatly
> appreciated. Feel free to mail me directly at AussiS5_at_mac.com

Just make sure that your card on your Newton is configured for AppleTalk.
Then, on your iBook, depending on whether you're using OS 9 or OS X, you
will have to make sure that AppleTalk is configured for Ethernet. In OS X,
you don't have any choice so you just need to make sure that you checked the
checkbox that says "Make AppleTalk Active" in the AppleTalk pane. In OS 9,
you'd do it by opening the AppleTalk control panel. You should connect
easily.

To connect to your LAN, just create a new setup with Internet Setup. Create
a new generic setup, then tap "Connect using" and select the "Ethernet"
item. The rest should be easy to configure.

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.