Re: [NTLK] Stylus Review

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 09:05:55 EDT

> Given all the posts about stylii, I suspect the answer is "no", but permit
me to ask anyway, are screw-in replacement tips made that could fit the
original stylus?
We had this discussion a few weeks ago and the result was that no mass
production of replacement tips has been started yet. However, I did some
brief tests on the problem and found that the length of the stylus tip is
critical. Also the machining, which I've tested on a lathe is not so simple
because a nice formed tip with right dimensions and smooth surface has to be
machined out at first, followed by the thin bolt which later goes into the
thread. Between the two machine runs one should not unclamp the part from
the chuck because the bolt would become excentric with respect to the tip.
With metal this wouldn't be a problem but soft plastic material is damn
sensitive against to much force. If there's enough demand I might look again
into that but don't expect wonders. BTW, would white be acceptable? I got a
nice sample of a relatively hard Delrin plastic rod recently.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG