Re: [NTLK] Cross Duo

From: Bradford Schmidt (brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 14:23:33 EDT

On 4/23/2002 at 1:46 PM Seth Hurwitz said:

>I was a fan of 'Til Tuseday and followed the whole fiasco with I'm With
>Stupid (my favorite album of hers, BTW), waiting and waiting for it to
>be released. She's phenomenal and it's very cool you built her site.
>Nice site, too. She strikes me as someone who could have a Newton!

---------To Which I Say---------

It's funny how it happened too - I wasn't really a til tuesday fan, but
liked voices carry ok. I was on the way back from meeting a client in
Boston, and stopped at a record store and saw "Stupid" in a cut-out bin.
Bought it and loved it. So then I got the next one, also loved it, and
then saw an article about her in the NY Times magazine about the whole
record company debacle.

I had been in the record business for a while as an independent engineer
and producer (until I burned out on exactly the crap that she went through)
and was grossed out by what I read. I coincidentally had tickets to see
her at a show in NY at about that time. So I go to the show, and the whole
vibe reminded me of what it was like to be in a band for fun, and why I got
into the industry in the first place. I remembered that they were looking
at Internet marketing, and called up Michael (her manager) to offer to
help. I had my own fairly successful agency at the time, and figured that
I could advise them on the build and at least keep them from being rooked
by Internet scam artists. We ended up just building it for them and
hosting it, gratis. Hosted it for them for a long time too, until they had
an agreement in place with artists direct.

Michael and I became friends, and almost started a label - but things got
hectic around the time of the golden globes and academy awards, so it never
happened.

I did get a thanks on her new album for it though.

Bradford Schmidt
Bradford Schmidt IMC
http://www.bsimc.com
845-708-9082