Re: [NTLK] Making calls with the speaker in Australia - LocaleFix

From: Scott C. Gregory (scgregory_at_bigpond.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 05:01:42 EDT

Patrick Meuleman wrote:

> I can't believe none of the Aussie users have piped up with the answer to
> this! Maybe we were all too busy with ANZAC day yesterday. Go to:
>
> http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/patches/LocaleFix1.1
>
> and load the package on your newt. It enables tone dialing and fixes a few
> other things.

Back in the dim dark ages when I bought my OMP from Apple, it had the
Tone dialing activated, so it must have slipped through their checks.
Back then Telstra prohibited anyone using hand held tone dialers on
their phone system.

My OMP had the usual problem of resetting all the time while running on
alkaline batteries (yeah I know what causes it now, but back then, no
one did), so off it went to Apple to be looked at.. Well I got a phone
call the next day saying that they need to change the software in my
newton because it still has the tone dialing activated. I said "Like
hell you will!" and so I got it back, with the new OS, but with the Tone
still activated.

So. Another way round this would be to completely brainwipe your newt
so it reverts back the the original OS, then patch it with the new US
version of the OS. That will do the trick.... the you still need
LocaleFix anyway for the other fixes, but at least it will be permanent
this way! :0)

Cheers

Scott