Re: [NTLK] [OT] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere? **Warning Long**

From: André Baron (abaron_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 05:15:44 EDT

Sorry guys, I really tried to stay out of this one, but I just can't let
it go!

For one thing, according to my infrmation (can someone pipe in with the
exact details) the new eMacs are going to be comming in around
900-1000usd, far cry from the "Twice that much [the $600 dell system]"
But Umm education discount, $100 on an ed model not surprising to me,
that is Apple's normal pricing structure.

These machines come with a 17" Flat *CRT* (note a crt, to cut costs, I
would assume) OS X is the natural progression of things, progress
happens, DEAL WITH IT. Remember OS6 quite a difference to 7, or 8 or 9,
how many people out there are running 6.X? We have adapted before, we
can do it again. Besides, if you check out apple's page (the software
tab) it says (watch it, cut and paste here)
"The eMac comes with both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X ? and it?s loaded with
software applications for learning."
So, where's the retrain, just use the startup manager, and start it up in 9!

As for comparing it to the Cube, thats like comparing apples and oranges
(pun inteded). The cube was NOT intended to be a education machine, it
was sold through regular channels with regular configurations (the ed
models started out a bit stripped down actually normal cd-rom drive
etc.) But when it did't meet Apple's sales demands (and we can start
anothr debate on that! IM(NS)HO This is because it was priced a bit
high, and the radical design scared people off) the machine was dumped
into the ed channels, with severe price slashing. The G4 cube was a
marketing flop, unfortunatly. The eMac, desinged for education,
designed to replace the much loved iMac (yes those Blueberry iMacs your
just recieved) Offering what people have been crying out for (How many
times have we seen the rumours about a *17* iMac?) Unfortunatly, maybe
it is still to exspensive for penny poor school districs (and private
schools, I fully understand that) but I think it is the right model at
the right time.

David, I'm sorry to rant, but I see your email as a knee jerk reaction!
   I imagine that if Apple striped out the cd-rom drive, threw a 14"
(non trinitron) screen and a 300mhz G3 with very limited RAM and HD you
would berate this Machine as a cost cutting shamble, but in your message
that is what your saying your wanting! Do the Dells that your so
tempted by offer a 17" screen? How much does it cost to convert over
all the software? Do they offer Firewire (video editing seems to have
become part of the classes, besides you can use it to attach an external
HD for servicing)? Do they offer Built in Ethernet? The possibility for
a little more to have a DVD-CD-RW (but not forcing it on you)? A 1.4gHz
processor (Comprable to the 700mhz G4)? You decry retraining the users
that "can barely turn the thing on" to OS X, so your going to switch
them to windows? And the last question, the one the penny pinchers
don't thing about, how much more is it going to cost to support pc's
over macs.

I'm not a blind Apple advocate, Apple has made mistakes, thier prices
are higher, but I look at it kinda like buying that $10000 car or that
$15000, there is a REASON that one costs more, Quality and features.
What I want, is for apple to offer better support to thier dedicated
(and not so dedicated) followers, this can make up for a lot. Prices are
dictated by the comanies need to stay alive, and innovative.

André