Re: [NTLK] Newton battery questions

From: Seth Hurwitz (shurwit1_at_jhmi.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 07:56:27 EDT

Ed, I'm totally clueless when it comes to electronics that don't say
Heathkit on the box. How did you make this? IOW, how is the battery
connected to the lightbulb and the resistor and what kind of lightbulb?
Thanks! Do you take orders for these boxes? :)

>>> tech_ed_at_yahoo.com 04/29/02 04:53PM >>>

nope...it's purely manual.
What I've done is I leave my rechargeable battery
connected to a lightbulb and a resister in series (I
forget the value, but it's small...something like 10k
but 5 watts) then put the contraption in a box with a
hole in it. When light no longer shines through the
hole, the battery is dead (I put a red lens over the
hole to make it look pretty) then I charge the battery
and do the whole thing over again. It helps to have a
spare battery (or the "AA" carrier while doing this.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Richard Barraclough <richard_at_sigma.ndo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do you recondition? Is there software to do it
> on the Newton like on
> PowerBooks?
>
> Richard.
>

> > Wow. After I recondition my battery, it takes the
> better part of an hour to
> > "fully" recharge then I don't have to charge it
> for a week or two... Odd.
> > Try using the newton until the battery runs out,
> and then charge it
> > overnight..thats what I do.
> >
> > -Chris
<snip>