Re: [NTLK] Newton battery questions

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 12:14:39 EDT

> nope...it's purely manual.
> What I've done is I leave my rechargeable battery
> connected to a lightbulb and a resister in series (I
> forget the value, but it's small...something like 10k
> but 5 watts) then put the contraption in a box with a
> hole in it. When light no longer shines through the
> hole, the battery is dead (I put a red lens over the
> hole to make it look pretty) then I charge the battery
> and do the whole thing over again. It helps to have a
> spare battery (or the "AA" carrier while doing this.

If this is a battery pack(not a single cell), then this is NOT a good
idea.

Discharging the batteries in a pack beyond .6V/cell can damage a pack. It
doesn't look like your system has any automatic cut-off, so you can easily
damage your rechargables, shorten their life, etc.

For the 4xAA back, your min. cut-off should be 2.4V.

Speedy2.