Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 19:25:18 EDT

Apple has netted millions of dollars selling IBOOKS to schools
(including thousands of them to Maine alone). If schools can afford to
equip students with those, surely they can afford to buy eMacs. Granted,
it is no where near the majority of schools that can afford this, but
enough of them can to justify selling them. Apple will be able to make a
profit off them, I think. For the other schools, as far as I can tell,
the G3-based iMac is still available. And, of course, everyone seems to
be ignoring that the base model eMac is a G4 for $999! I mean, it is
only available to schools, but it is a very good deal, and I am sure
discount prices are available for big orders. Last but not least, on the
Education Apple Store, when you are logged in as an institution, you
have a choice of OS 9 or X as the default OS.

As for comparing it to the G3 iMac... For an institution, the top level
old iMac costs $900. For $99 more, they get a G4 at 200mHz faster and a
17" screen. Sounds fair to me.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj