Re: [NTLK] Touch Screen cable problem

From: Bernie A. Goltermann (bagoltermann_at_ksaits.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 00:34:35 EDT

PaulMmn wrote:

>Will someone describe the ribbon cable in question? Is it a
>flexible printed circuit? ie a thin film of metal coated on ultra
>thin plastic.

Yes, a ultra thin clear plastic ribbon about 1cm wide with four silver
metal traces that bends around (tight 'U' bend) from the touch screen
side to the underside of the motherboard.

>What kind of connectors does it connect to? 'Edge connector' type of
>things? Plugs soldered to the cable? A pressure connection of some
>type?

A pressure connection.

>DigiKey offers a "Conductive Trace Pen for Flexible Circuit Traces
>for $20.20 (CW2900-ND) (A Chemtronics product CW2900). Of course,
>this is a bigger problem because the traces are cut, not worn...
>http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=75&M=CW2900.
>
>Chemtronics has a page that lists all of their repair items:
>http://www.chemtronics.com/catalog/catalog.cgi?action=list_products&category=7.
>They also list an overcoat pen, "which applies a tough, protective,
>conformal coating." That might be useful on the back side of the
>cable, with the flex/conductive on the front...

Thanks Paul I'll take a look at those pages. The real problem I have is
exposing the traces and the location of the cut. It's in one of the
curves that bends around to the other side.

Bernie