Re: [NTLK] listar restrictions

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 06:36:43 EDT

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Johannes Wolf wrote:

> Dear listfather,
>
> recently I got two of these messages from listar:

<snip message from eCartis>

> I have two things to criticise:
>
> first - there is no link to the original message that has been rejected
>
> second - in my opinion the limit is much too stringent:
> If I reply with one line to a message containing about 8 lines, my reply
> will be already rejected. This cannot be the intention.

The limit only applies to messages over 21 lines long. Under that length,
there is no quoting limit. I am fine-tuning this setting - I only changed
it to 21 from 50 yesterday. There's never going to be a "right" number,
but I can increase it larger than that perhaps.

> I think we all confirm that the number of quoted lines should be limited,
> because it is a very lazy behaviour to answer a thread without deleting the
> lines not directly related to the answer. This way the thread ends up with a
> few hundred lines but you do not really know what the actual part is.

Well, the alternative is to have endless discussions about all of the
severe overquoting going on, and also have a few people make it very
difficult for those who use the list on their Newtons to participate.
List options are fluid, and I'm open to any suggestions on how to make
things better.