Re: [NTLK] Whats better, Emate or Messagepad?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 04:04:54 EDT

on 8/10/02 3:10 AM, Peter Cameron at pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> Depends on what you're doing. The eMate is slower than the MP2x00 machines
> but as fast or faster than other Newtons. The built-in keyboard is a real plus
> if you're typing in a lot of material or working with text. The MessagePads
> are smaller and lighter, but probably less rugged.
> I have several MessagePads (100, 120, 130, 2000 upgraded to 2100, 2100 and an
> eMate). The upgraded 2000 is my main machine. However I use the eMate for
> manipulating text and spreadsheets (larger screen) and take it with me when I
> go Geocaching (rugged, integrated keyboard are useful here).
> The 100 is great for shopping lists.
> So, I'd have to say that 'better' depends on the task ... the right tool for
> the job.

To simplify, if you will be standing/sitting on a plane, bus or train,
moving, or otherwise using your Newton where pen input is preferred, or
instant access, or such, then the 2k series is better, but if you are going
to be sitting at tables, desks or the like, and are primarily concerned
about writing words, then the eMate is probably the best. The eMate does
seem to have some issues, from what I've seen here--screen hinges, slower,
etc, but it is a solid machine. My son wants one. I use a 2100.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry