Re: [NTLK] loosing me

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 02:41:47 EDT

Hey Barb, I am sorry to hear this.
The main question is:
1) do you really need the internet connection via mobile phone and
2) what do you expect from such a possibility having it once?

In my opinion it is not primarily a question of the Newt technology to
connect to the internet:
this is a very simple serial connection with a special protocol.

But what I experienced in the past is that it is more and more hard to find
real support, because more and more of the support personal does not have a
clue what they are talking about. They have learned a few standard solutions
(for standard <Windows> applications of course)and everything else is far
beyond their capabilities.
This is really bad, I have experienced it with several support sources, even
from well established companies like Philips.

Personally I gave up my try to connect via my Nokia 6210 and Libertel.
The reason is not a technical one, no, the support from Libertel was simply
not able to tell me what they really need durig the PPP authentication
phase.
They have strange requirements, from connecting with my PC I can see that
they ask for username and password three times in a row...
You can set up nearly everything very easily on your Newt, provided that you
know what is required, but if not, you are lost.
I ended up at a point where the connection trials cost me real money and I
learned that the nice HSCSD data compression method of my Nokia to reach 56
kBps is not supported at all by Libertel, they only support GPRS.
So even if I would have succeeded to crack the PPP authentication, I would
be limited to 9.6 kBps, which is really slow and would cost even more money
for my mobile connection.

But again, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to to with Newt technology.
I still love my Newt and cannot imagine my dayly life without my little
green friend, even without beeing online with it.
I connected my Newt successfully to the intranet at work, can print, access
my Mac and I do have even the potential possibility to connect to the
internet...

I do not know your particular problem, because I did not follow your thread,
but I would assume a similar reason, but this is IMHO no reason at all to
say good-bye to your Newt!

Regards
Johannes