Re: [NTLK] Print Pack Query - 25 pin cable

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 18:11:39 EDT

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Jim Witte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This message ended up bounced back to me today. I don't know if it's
> been answered yet.

> > discovered, much to my chagrin, that the newer HP printers only have a
> > 25-pin parallel printer port instead of the original 50-pin. Does
> > anyon,e

You guys are a little confused. Classic PC parallel printer cables are
like this:

The printer side uses a Centronics-style 36 pin connector (two rows of
contacts, mounted on a bar of plastic in the middle of the connector
shell)
The PC side uses a DB25 connector (pins, arranged in two rows).

Some HP printers use a custom HP connector on the *printer* side, for what
reason I have no idea. I've seen a Laserjet 1100 with one of these. They
look kinda like the Centronics connectors, but are much smaller.