[NTLK] Reactions to Wired Article * from Mun iz and Schau

From: Albert Muniz (amuniz_at_depaul.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 12:04:46 EDT

Reactions to Wired Article from Muniz and Schau

Just wanted to check in. We've read some of the responses to the story on =
our research and were somewhat taken aback.

It seems our study on, and our opinion of, the Newton community, is being =
misunderstood. Some appear to be misunderstanding what Leander Kahney =
(the Wired author) said about our study and what we said ourselves in the =
study. Please allow us to clarify a few points. =20

We never suggested that the community is the only reason people keep using =
the Newton. We believe that the community makes it ~easier~ to use the =
Newton (you can continue using them because the community facilitates it). =
 We admire the ingenuity displayed by members of the community in keeping =
the devices going. It is a great resource, but we do understand that the =
ultimate reason why you use the Newton is because it is a solid piece of =
superior technology.=20

We never suggested that participation in the reintroduction rumors =
characterizes every member of the community. Obviously, there is =
variability. However, these rumors are the focus of a considerable amount =
of discussion, and there are several consistent patterns across incidents. =
 As such, we feel that they do provide some indication of what is going on =
in the community and what is important to some segment of its members. We =
~never~ said that all users take part in these discussions. In fact, we =
note that many members are quite skeptical of the rumors. There is a =
large amount of rationality in these discussions. But there is also a =
great deal of spirited discussion (recall the Jan. 02 discussions of the =
iWalk rumor). =20

We recognize the large numbers of moderate users, who don't create =
webpages, participate in rumor discussions or even regularly post to the =
listserv. We ~certainly~ do no believe that any of you are neurotic =
superfans with a blind devotion. =20

We also never said that the Newton was outdated and obsolete. All we =
suggested was that, the simple reality facing any discontinued manufactured=
 device, is that as the devices get older, it will be increasingly =
difficult to find parts for them and keep them working.

We don't want to get too wrapped up in debating the meaning of every =
sentence in the article. Some measure of disagreement is inevitable among =
the many varied members of the listserv. Not everything we observe is =
going to apply to every member of the community. These are two realities =
facing anyone studying any group. =20

We do feel that it is important for us to note that we like (and respect) =
everyone we have met through the list. A lot. We have enjoyed learning =
about the Newton and the people who keep them going. It's a great group. =
Think about how quickly queries posted to the listserv are answered, and =
how thoroughly they are answered. Not too many groups can boast about =
that.=20

We are planning on posting the main points of our rumor study on our =
research website next week and would welcome any comments. Agree. =
Disagree. Or other.

Thanks much for your time and attention.=20

Sincerely,

Al Muniz
Hope Schau